Patching a Kernel

Sorry Guys...stupid newbie question, but I've been able to avoid doing this in the past...

Is there a good HOWTO available for patching a Kernel. I have a Debian 2.4 kernel, running in a Shuttle, and have identified a patch which should fix the problem I'm seeing (""VDP error: cannot read Vdp Data" messages brought about by incorrect checksums in the Ethernet adapter) and now I need to install it.

As a side order...I maintain the system with Synaptic, but if I hack the kernel, is there a way that I can build the new kernel into a package so that maintenance doesn't become a series of kernel builds...again, pointers to a HOWTO would be nice

Thanks Guys
Jim Blake