Re: need to disable laptop touchpad completely: 80+ year old debian user touches it by accident

On (01/08/05 09:55), Mitchell Laks wrote:
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: Mitchell Laks <mlaks@verizon.net>
> Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 09:55:16 -0400
> Subject: need to disable laptop touchpad completely:  80+ year old debian user
>  touches it by accident
>
> Hi,
>
> My dad is an avid Debian user (ok i installed it).
>
> During the summer,  Dad is using my sony vaio grx560 laptop. and he finds that
> he accidentally touches the "touchpad" all the time.
>
> Then the mouse moves all over the place and messes up his typing, moving
> letters and creating havoc.
>
> I installed a separate usb mouse.
>
> So how do I turn off the touchpad completely.
>
> I have tried playing with tpconfig and mouseemu, but doesnt seem to stop it
> from working.

Mouseemu has a setting which disables 'click' for about 20 seconds when
you are typing.  Once you stop typing, 'click' will work after about 20
secs.

So although the cursor continues to zap around the screen with
accidental touchpad caressing ;), it won't interfere with your typing
...... unless you take long pauses.

> The settings on the program tpconfig don't seem to include
> "turn the sucker off completely".

I too would prefer to disable it completely and tried various solutions
but settled for mouseemu.

> I had the idea of removing whatever kernel module works the touchpad. Can I do
I decided that might remove mouse functionality altogether but didn't
investigate very far.

Regards

Clive

--