configure interface no ip-address

I am trying to automatically bring up an interface on debian 2.6 ?sable installation?. The interface is to be used as the sniffing interface on a snort installation and therefore I would like to configure an interface with ?no ip-address? to be up after boot up.

The interface is configured as manual in the /etc/network/interfaces

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

If the debian server reboots, the interface is not automatically enabled and requires the command ifconfig eth0 up in order to bring up the interface.

My question is:
How do you safely tell the system to bring up the interface automatically?
Are there some pre written scripts to do this and if so could you make these available? Where should the scripts be put within the default system directory structure?

thanks in advance

Get a massive 2 GB e-mail inbox - upgrade to Hotmail Plus today! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-xe&DI=1054&XAPID=1816