Re: AMD cooling utility in debian

On Fri, 6 May 2005 11:26:06 +0100
"Wackojacko" <wackojacko32@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I don't think that is the case--at least, not in stock Debian kernels.
>I have an Athlon XP 1700+, and it idled at 45C until I installed
>athcool.  Now it idles below 40C, sometimes as low as 30-32C in cooler
>weather.

I have to agree, my Athlon 64 3200+ runs at least 5-10c cooler in Windows
(with C'nQ) than in Linux. I think its because the default kernel state for
powernow is 'Performance' which keeps the processor at full speed.

Then use ondemand instead.

How do you change which governor it uses though. I have recently compiled my own kernel with the 'userspace' governor set as default and compiled the ondemand governor into the kernel, but I'm not sure its made any difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wackojacko