usb printer and vmware

I was trying out VMWare Workstation today on my Debian Sarge desktop to
run Windows XP, because I just got a printer (HP Laserjet 1000) which I
couldn't get to work with CUPS. And qemu doesn't support USB yet.

Whenever the printer is turned on and USB cable plugged in, the
'printer' kernel module is automatically installed. I had to do an
'rmmod printer' first before VMWare could claim/use the USB device. And
if the printer is turned off and then on again, I had to do this again.
How do I prevent the kernel module from being automatically installed?

Regards,
dave