sound error - where to begin?

Hi.  I'm running Debian testing.  This morning I aptitude
dist-upgrade'ed and now I do not have working sound.

Unfortunately I do not really have any idea of how to debug this.  Can
someone suggest some things I can check out?  I noticed that /dev/dsp
and /dev/mixer are missing.  Should they necessarily be there?  Also,
I'm using OSS, not ALSA (I know, I'm a caveman... it's just because I
had trouble getting ALSA to work long ago and never had the free time
or compelling need to switch).  Also, my kernel is a custom 2.6.10,
running in 32-bit compat mode on an AMD64 proc, w/ integrated audio
(though none of that should matter, because sound worked just fine
yesterday).

My only other clues so far are that if I start aumix, I get the error
message:
aumix:  error opening mixer

and if I start up xmms, I get a popup window saying "Couldn't open
audio.  Please check that: your soundcard is configured properly, you
have the correct output plugin selected, no other program is blocking
the sound card."  (I'm pretty sure the SC is configured, as it was
working fine yesterday.  The output plugin is correct - again it hasn't
changed since it was working yesterday - though it seems to depend
on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. As for the blocking, I'm not certain how to
check that - there are no lockfiles in /var/lock/.)

Thanks in advance.

--
Peace,
Aaron Maxwell - http://redsymbol.net