divx and avi (was Re: Package for splitting mpg files for CD burning?)

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 09:04 -0500, kynn@panix.com wrote:
>    Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:22:57 +0100
[snip]
> Thanks, that turns out to be the best solution, because, as it
> happens, the videos in question are also available in divx format.  (I
> hadn't realized that divx == avi and that my video playback software
> can play these files as well it can play mpg.)

divx <> avi

avi is a container file, and divx is a video codec.

Example of a file where the video is xvid and audio in MP3:

$ avitype /data/share/video/family/anaballe-recital-2004-06-18.avi
[snip]
<AVI reader> : Stream 0 vids : XVID (0x44495658) 27023 chunks (105.56KB)
<AVI reader> : Stream 1 auds : MPEG Layer-3 (0x55) 37591 chunks
(293.68KB)

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Clearly the allies may not like it, and I think that's our great
concern - where's the backbone of Russia, where's the backbone of
France, where are they in expressing their condemnation of such
clearly illegal activity: they're now climbing into a box and
they will have enormous difficulty not following up on this if
there is not compliance."
John Kerry - CNN Crossfire / November 12, 1997
http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0403/S00076.htm