Package for splitting mpg files for CD burning?

I have some very large mpg files (almost 2 GB each) that I want to
split so that I can burn the parts into separate CDs, and then view
the movie segments off the CDs.  (I know that the split command splits
files into smaller chunks, but I doubt that these chunks could be
viewed as movies without first reconstituting them into a single
file.)

I'm sure this is a pretty common problem, but I don't know the first
thing about video, so I'm pretty lost.  Are there any Debian packages
for doing this mpg splitting?

Thanks!

kj