Re: kompiling kernel 2.6

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:06:09 +0100 (CET)
> From: Ernst-Magne Vindal <ernst@vindal.com>
> To: Debian users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: kompiling kernel 2.6
>
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:44:46 +0100 (CET)
> > From: Ernst-Magne Vindal <ernst@vindal.com>
> > To: Debian users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> > Subject: Re: kompiling kernel 2.6
> >
> > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:36:52 +0100
> > > From: Benedict Verheyen <benedict.verheyen@sjki.be>
> > > To: Ernst-Magne Vindal <ernst@vindal.com>
> > > Cc: Debian Linux Distro Users Discussion <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> > > Subject: Re: kompiling kernel 2.6

> > > Well, i compile kernels that way
> > > after unpacking:
> > >
> > > cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.10
> > > cp /boot/config-2.6.x .config
> > > make menuconfig
> > > make-kpkg --append-to-version=.02mar2005 kernel_image modules_image
> > > cd ..
> > > dpkg -i kernel-image-x
> > >
> > > It would help if you where more informative on the kernel panic you get.
> > > Also, the default kernels use an initrd so maybe you need this aswell?
> > >
> > > If i make an initrd i use (after installing the deb package of the
> > > corresponding kernel first)
> > >
> > > mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10.02mar2005 -r /dev/hda2 2.6.10.02mar2005

Well......I'm confused, but mabye the line above is the thing I missed. I
have not seen the last option "-r /dev/hdax 2.6.xxx.

anyway, this time it did go my way exept for some minor adjustmens. I did
use the .config file from the current instlaled kernel-image but some of
the modules did not install. Modconf did it for me without problem.

so...what I did now was:

apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.8
cd /usr/src
tar xjvf kernel-source-2.6.8.tar.bz2
ln -s kernel-source-2.6.8 linux
cd linux
cp /boot/config-2.6.8-2-686 .config
make menuconfig
make-kpkg --append-to-version=.020305 kernel_image
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.8.020305_10.00.Custom_i386.deb

Okay, so far so good, and I tryed a reboot. That did not go well for some
reasons, one of them was probably initrd.img, the second was settings in
lilo.conf, "vga=0x317".
after tweeking lilo and compared loaded modules from the kernel-image
installed I did the last command:

mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.8.020305 -r /dev/hda6 2.6.8.020305

edit symlinks and lilo and rebooted along with some prayers.....

and, barabimbarabom, I was up and running:) great!

Last time when building costum kernelt I did:
make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

So now, If I have to add or remove something from the kernel I can just
make the symlink,:
#make clean
#make menuconfig
#make-kpkg --append-to-version=.

One last thing, would it be a good thing to put the kernel on hold, and if
I do is it later possible to remove it?

I will now work on with the config of my Cisco Wlan adapter and see if I
can get it up and running.

Thanks for help :)