Re: What's wrong with debian?

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:15:34PM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Mar 01 2005, Jon Dowland wrote:
> > Rogério Brito wrote:
> > >The only *real* problem that I see is that there are maintainers that don't
> > >even care to give a feedback to problems reported by users, even in the
> > >situation when a *patch* is offered!
> >
> > Or, developers who don't run testing (or stable) in any capacity, and
> > thus don't even try their own packages in the testing distribution.
>
> Very well observed. It is my impression that some developers don't seem to
> use sarge and this results in bugs like failing to build from source with
> testing only packages, which are release-critical bugs.

Most developers don't use sarge because they develop packages against
unstable, not sarge.  It's generally a very bad idea to upload a package
built against sarge libraries rather than unstable libraries.  Sarge is
basically useless to developers, with the exception of the release
managers.

Secondly, AFAIK, FTBFS bugs in sarge are not release critical.  No
Debian release has ever been fully buildable from source (which is
unfortunate, but we enough problems releasing without worrying about
it).

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.