Re: What's wrong with debian?

On Feb 28 2005, Robert Brockway wrote:
> For the first time ever I can see a future time when Debian is less
> successful than it is now.  I do not want this to happen.

Neither do I want, but I am sticking with Debian as much as I can and I
don't want to use any derivatives.

> There are many ways to contribute to OSS.

Indeed.

> The only reason I am posting into this thread is because I see a problem
> with an otherwise fantastic distro.

I can understand your point, even though I help friends installing sarge.

I, personally, don't have a problem using Debian's testing release. I
always try to report bugs and that is the whole point in testing: making
sure that it is in a releaseable state, by fixing bugs. But I know that
most users wouldn't want to be invoved in this way to have their software
working.

The only *real* problem that I see is that there are maintainers that don't
even care to give a feedback to problems reported by users, even in the
situation when a *patch* is offered!

And I've had some packages have bugs open for over half an year, without
any response from the developer. These developers should be purged from the
project. They were, after all, committed to the community to package
software and maintain it in good shape when they were admitted to the
project.

OTOH, there are some developers that must receive all the kudos for the
hard and brilliant work they've done. The Gnome team, the teTeX team, the
OpenOffice.org team and Java team are the first ones that come to mind.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php