Re: Which Dell Dimension ?

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 22:17 +0100, Hannes Mayer wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:03:48 -0600, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 15:44 -0500, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > I've always prefered the Optiplex line, but the SC420 (Poweredge
> > > Server) looks like it would work well as a desktop and it's only $249
> > > (256MB, 2.53Ghz Celeron and a 40GB SATA HD), no OS.
> >
> > I've got to agree with Steven Jones.
> >
> > Unless you do lots of (audio and video) ripping/encoding, where
> > the P4's 3+GHz just overpowers the Athlon and Athlon64, the AMD
> > chips (especially the A64, even in 32 bit mode) are faster than
> > the P4.
>
> Well, no audio/video encoding - I just enjoy a fast desktop and
> compiling stuff in reasonable time.

My Shuttle SK41G (with an AthlonXP 2200+ and 1GB RAM) powers thru
a pretty full "desktop" kernel build (all USB, bluetooth, firewire,
etc, but no need for things like SCSI drivers) in about 5 minutes.

> Since I want a quality machine this time, which company sells
> workstations with AMD64 ?

*Lots*.  HP/Compaq do, as do a thousand 2nd and 3rd tier companies.

Look for quality components instead of a "big name".

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"'He insulted me, he cheated me, he beat me, he robbed me' --
those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace."
Buddha