Re: alsa not working on Intel 865 (Asus P4P800)

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:30:12 +0100, Jonathan Pearce wrote:
> Fourth, here's my ~/.asoundrc [...]
>        pcm.intel8x0%3F {
>           type hw
>           card 0
>        }
>
>        ctl.intel8x0%3F {
>           type hw
>           card 0
>        }

> With the first set of changes, I was no longer getting error messages
> when I ran programs which accessed the sound. With the second and
> third things, I was able to get sound out of my headphones. The fourth
> change fixed someone else's problem. The list of programs I have
> installed was crucial for yet another person to get his sound working.
>
> It seems like there's probably a little bit more setup the alsa
> packages could do in these cases. Such as: have more dependencies so
> that the proper packages get installed

Which dependencies are missing?

> automatically create and populate the conf files

The alsa-base and libasound2 packages contain many configuration
files.  They _should_ work out of the box.  Why did you need to
add the indicated lines to ~/.asoundrc?

> and set the default mute options sensibly.

Can you please let me know _exactly_ what command you used to mute
the IEC958 Capture Monitor?

Please cc: me in your reply
--
Thomas Hood