Re: How long 'till Sarge->Stable?

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 01:16 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
<snip>

> One of the great puzzles of open source to the larger World is "What
> motivates the people who do it?" Almost everyone out there seems to
> believe that if you offer money to people will do what you want. But
> even out there, people won't necessarily do what you want for
> money. They may, instead, do something that merely separates you from
> your money.

I just had someone contact my business to do some data mining.  I explained to
him that someone who worked for the same company he did already had an
exclusive agreement with me.  He responded by saying I shouldn't feel bound
to that, and that he wouldn't tell anyone where his data came from.  He had a
number of other reasons why we should basically break our agreement, behind
an existing client's back, and give him what he wanted.  I pointed out, VERY
politely, that if we did that, how would he know we didn't do the same to
him?

We're not making tons of money -- I've taken great pains to grow the business
slowly so we won't get swamped with irate clients while we're still debugging
new features and so we can still focus on adding some needed support services
instead of just getting more clients (whom we could not handle well until we
get the support services in place).

He didn't seem to understand why more money wouldn't just buy what he wanted.
I didn't go so far as to explain that now I have income and a business, but
it is possible there may be a day when I don't, but as long as I have
integrity, I can start another business because those I worked with before
will willingly work with me again and will eagerly give me recommendations if
needed.

It also makes a big difference because now I can sleep at night and don't hide
from the face in the mirror.  If I did what he wanted, I'd have to start
watching everything I say to make sure I remember what lies I've told to
which people.  I could not do that and live with myself.

Hal