Re: X environment variables

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 01:47 +0200, Gedas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to add java to my environment PATH variable. Everything
> works fine from gnome-terminal after I add
>
> 	export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk
> 	export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin
>
> to my ~/.bashrc or /etc/bash.bashrc.
> But this PATH variable is not accessible from X windows outside
> gnome-terminal. For example when i try to launch some java application
> from my GNOME applications menu java binnary cannot be found.
>
> What is the right place to specify PATH environment variable so that it
> would be accessible by any application inside my X windows session (or
> at least GNOME session)?

In Unix, environment variables are only visible by "parent and
children".

So, you'll have to log out and log back in for them to be visible.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Its easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as
modern America's favorite pet. People like pets to possess the
same qualities they do. Cats are irresponsible and recognize no
authority, yet are completely dependent on others for their
material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful. Cats
are mean for the fun of it."
P. J. O'Rourke