X environment variables

Hello,

I am trying to add java to my environment PATH variable. Everything
works fine from gnome-terminal after I add

	export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk
	export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

to my ~/.bashrc or /etc/bash.bashrc.
But this PATH variable is not accessible from X windows outside
gnome-terminal. For example when i try to launch some java application
from my GNOME applications menu java binnary cannot be found.

What is the right place to specify PATH environment variable so that it
would be accessible by any application inside my X windows session (or
at least GNOME session)?

I use Debian testing, GDM, GNOME.

thanks!

--