Selecting things under 'X' using ENV variables

Michael Marsh wrote:

According to /usr/bin/sensible-browser, you can set the BROWSER
environment variable for this.  In fact, you can specify a
colon-separated list of browsers in this variable, and it'll take the
first one it finds and that start successfully.

This brings up a big question for me.
It appears that, when I login via XDM or GDM, the scripts "/etc/profile" and "~/.profile" are NOT run. Are there equivalent scripts for X / Gnome? and if so, what are they?

Thanks

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.