Re: Creating a copy of debian set-up

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:35:13PM +0000, jb701@uku.co.uk wrote:
> I have Debian sarge loaded and running fine on a Thinkpad (laptop).  I now
> want to copy my setup onto another hard drive, so I can try some things out
> without ruining this setup (which took a lot of effort to get running).
> How do I go about doing that?  The laptop can only run one hard drive at a
> time. I can connect to another Debian machine (running woody).  The laptop
> started with woody (same CDs used as the other machine) and I think I kept
> all the downloaded deb files used to upgrade.  Is there any way to copy the
> setup rather than setting up a new hard drive from scratch?

Hi,

I suggest to do something like
'rsync -avx root@laptop:/ root@desktop:/mnt/backup/'. In this way you
get almost instant recovery in case you hose something. Don't forget
your Knoppix CD though for rsyncing back if laptop doesn't boot.

If you want to get fancy, 'rsnapshot' will even give you incremental
backup that is very efficient (only diffs are written and hardlinks are
used) so you can do a rollback to a specific date.

All of this assumes you have enough hard disk space.

Hth,
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379