Re: How to maintain permissions when unzipping .zip file

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 04:31:52PM +0800, Chris Purves wrote:
> I would like to unzip a .zip file and maintain the permissions and
> ownership of the .zip file.
>
> I can't find a switch for the unzip command.  Is there a way to do it?
>
> --
> Take care, eh.
> Chris

Hi Chris,

I'll give it a shot, though I don't how what you want to could be
really useful...with my default rights, I am not able to give
ownership to another user usually...

Here goes, a small script which does

--- 8< -----------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
# Usage: 'zipchange.sh archive', where archive.zip expands to archive

ZIPUSER=`ls -l $1.zip |awk '{print $3}'`
ZIPGROUP=`ls -l $1.zip |awk '{print $4}'`

unzip $1.zip

chown -R $ZIPUSER.$ZIPGROUP $1
--- 8< -----------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, there are some restraints here. First, the extracted archive
has to have its starting directory being the same as the archive name.
Also the naming with '$1.zip' is not very nice. But generally it works.
'zipchange.sh archive' will unzip archive.zip and chown the resulting
'archive' to the owner of archive.zip -- that is, _if_ the chown
operation is permitted, which I assume. Enhance to liking.

Hth,
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379