Re: What's wrong with debian?

Good afternoon!

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 14:24 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> I think that we need to consider the idea of "service packs."  That is, we
> have a stable release and periodically a set of packages (I am thinking of
> a server-targeted approach here) can be upgraded for functionality, instead
> of only security.  For example, it would be really nice if Woody had supported
> Postfix 2.1, Apache2, Cyrus2, and so on.

<snipped>

> Besides, I don't think that this is too far from where we are now with the
> idea of point releases (like 3.0r4).  I just think that it would represent
> loosening of the criteria for inclusion of packages in such point releases
> without a compromise on quality.
>
> I am interested in hearing what others have to say about this.
>
> -Roberto

A service pack approach "might" be only lead to the same problem that we
now have with "Releases". As well, as a user, it would annoy me to know
that a security patch/upgrade is out there, but I have to wait until
next Tuesday (or later on, not now) for it to be available.

What I'm seeing is a user who is content using Stable (or Testing, or
Unstable) does their apt-thing one day and is told program X in package
A is not safe anymore or is borked somehow...do ya wanna upgrade? So he
does. Perhaps no upgrade is available (yet)...maybe switch to a
different package? Apt (or Synaptic) could make a suggestion. He could
then upgrade to that package and the old package is dumped.  Or he
learns that a package has moved from Unstable to Stable...does he want
it now that is has the Stable "seal of approval".

Old Debian users who installed Potato, or Woody years ago with the then
current installer won't need to learn a new installer. They just keep
apt-upgrading (maybe forever, who knows?). Newcomers would use the
current installer, toss it away never to be used again. They then do
what the old timers do: apt-upgrade forever.

Every day is basically a new release and the process wouldn't be much
different than what the users are doing now anyway.

Rob