Re: What's wrong with debian?

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:24:18PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> I think that we need to consider the idea of "service packs."  That is, we
> have a stable release and periodically a set of packages (I am thinking of
> a server-targeted approach here) can be upgraded for functionality, instead
> of only security.  For example, it would be really nice if Woody had supported
> Postfix 2.1, Apache2, Cyrus2, and so on.

I think this is what CDD (Custom Debian Distributions) is designed to
facilitate.  I.E., a solid base, and then a Debian-LAMP distro, a
Debian-EMailServer distro, a Debian-GroupwareServer distro, and a
Debian-Gnome distro (which is what Ubuntu in effect is).

Good ol' Debian remains ancient and stable.

I bet a few people will chime up saying this is what they have in mind,
I think I'm repeating their opinion.