udev/hotplug Primer or HOWTO

I recently installed “Sarge” 2.6.8 which is using udev I am told.

During the boot up the mount of my ide (had) partitions fails with Not Found and the boot drops to the shell. If I create (MAKEDEV) hda and then mount –a it works fine. I exit the shell and boot up continues fine.

My boot device is a scsi drive (sda) and this device is created and mounted just fine. Also, the devices for my 2 cd/dvd drives (hdc, hdd) are also created fine.

This same setup worked just fine in 2.4, so I’m guessing that a configuration got hosed somewhere during the in base-config install. Can someone please point me in the right direction for diagnosing this? It’s a pain having to manually step in to complete the boot…

Thanks,

Gordon