Re: GRUB or Lilo to boot Debian and OS/2

Falkenstein wrote:
Hi,

I tried installing the latest Debian Sarge Linux from DVD and it went smoothly until the point where to install the boot loader to harddrive or floppy. As I am a newbie to Grub and Lilo I am wondering if I can do the following and how:
- existing system is 2 hard disk drives SCSI ID 0 and ID 3
- boot loader exists on /dev/sda MBR, it is the IBM Bootmanager
- now installed a new drive at SCSI ID 1
- Debian installed to one big partition / and /swap on /dev/sdb

Now if I want to keep the IBM Bootmanager where should I put Grub or Lilo? I tried root partition but IBM bootmanager did not recognize the new system at all. If I want to change to Lilo or Grub and am willing to install it into MBR of /dev/sda, how can I see if it shows my OS/2 or Bootmanager in the list of choice?
I believe I used OS/2 Bootmanager to dual-boot Linux and WinNT. It was quite some time ago (Linux kernel 1.x), but the Bootmanager might haven't changed much. LILO was installed in the Linux partition and was "chainloaded" from the Bootmanager. Running OS/2 install (but not installing it) usually successfully reconfigured Bootmanager by finding both LILO and ntloader.

Sarunas Burdulis