Re: What's wrong with debian?

On Feb 28 2005, Hodgins Family wrote:
> I want to submit this following suggestion (as a straw man): The project
> is getting too BIG. Too many programs, too many platforms, too many
> things to maintain, too many security releases needed.

Yes, this is my perception also. I'm not so sure about the platforms (well,
I use x86 and PowerPC and I really appreciate having the same software in
both worlds).

The problem is that for each function there is a zillion applications, some
of which are far better than others. For instance, we don't need to have
cantus in Debian, when we have easytag, since the latter is more frequently
upgraded and is much more powerful than cantus.

This is just one example. Of course, I expect now people writing me to say
that they "want choice and that choice is good". Well, choice is good, but
keeping junk in the distribution just deviates the attention from some
tasks to others.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php