Re: Udev and storage devices

* Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> [2005 Dec 31 09:46 -0600]:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:26:28 -0500
> Colin <cwvca_SPAMNOT@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Jacob S wrote:
> > > It took a lot of experimentation and playing around, but I finally
> > > got a working combination. My /etc/udev/rules.d/010_local.rules
> > > file now looks like this:
> > >
> > > BUS="scsi", SYSFS{vendor}="OLYMPUS ", KERNEL="sd*", NAME="camera%n",
> > > SYMLINK="%k", OWNER="user", GROUP="mygroup"
> > >
> > > BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="USB Flash Memory", KERNEL="sd*",
> > > NAME="usbkey%n", SYMLINK="%k", OWNER="user", GROUP="mygroup"
> >
> > I'm nitpicking a bit but I'd switch the NAME and SYMLINK params around
> > for both entries.
>
> I would agree with you, except I found autofs wouldn't work with
> symlinks. It wanted to be pointed at the real device. So I put the name
> and symlink params to their current values.
>
> I also would have avoided autofs, except that I couldn't find a KDE
> equivalent to hal.

In my experience, KDE 3.4.3 is working with dbus and hal just fine and
I'm not using autofs.  I was steered toward configuring the KDE
desktop, selecting Behavior, select the Device Icons tabs and select
Show Device Icons.  The list will become available.  Adjust to taste.

In /etc/fstab I do have an entry:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,noexec,umask=000 0 0

with /mnt/sda1 directory available and my USB stick and camera will
mount there.  When I plug either in, an icon appears on the KDE desktop
and I can click it to mount and open it in Konquerer, or right-click
it, mount it, and then navigate to /mnt/sda1 with Midnight Commander
and do what I need.  So far, I haven't tried plugging both in at the
same time (something to play with!).

So far, I've not bothered with udev rules, but that might be a next
thing to play with.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of