Re: Problem Resolving names into ip addresses

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:08:50PM +1000, Ken Robinson wrote:
Hi,
I am a relative newbie when it comes to debian so please excuse any
assumption or lack of etiquette when posting. Anyway, here goes.

I have a box connected to an ADSL modem / DHCP server / NAT.

I upgraded to unstable version from a knoppix 4.0 base. This was to get
Xorg and to resolve some graphics card issues. One problem still
remains.

I am able resolve names (eg www.google.com) into their ip addresses using
ping and nslookup but cannot with firefox and apt-get. Once I give the ip
adress (like 200.0.0.3) to firefox and apt-get they work fine. I understand
that bind is used and is somehow separate. Is there some config file (like
in /etc/defaults) which I need to use?

I have used an apple computer on the same connection and it has no problems
so I know the connection is good.

Any help would be appreciated.
ken.

I would check /etc/nsswitch.conf and look at the hosts: line to make sure dns is included. I ran into this problem before on a solaris box that had the exact same problem. It was checking NIS rather than DNS, and I didn't have an NIS server.

The configuration you most likely want is

hosts:      files dns

which will check your hosts file first and then dns. If that line says something else that could be your problem.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/