Linux or K3B issue???

As a rule I think multiple list posting is inappropriate, but after posting the following on kde-linux it seems to me that the problem may be with the hardware setup in my Debian installation. So I thought I'd at least ask if you-all could note any details regarding what to look for in my optical hardware configuration?

Thank you for your patience,
Lee C

kde-linux post
==============
So you understand I'm at the early learning stage:
In the last several days I've expunged MS from the PC on my LAN and installed Debian. Being very happy with my Mac, I went with KDE to allow a somewhat similar desktop.

Now it's time to backup what I've done before I screw it up :-) so I also installed K3B to use optical media. In my trials today I've had no problem creating and restoring a data CD, but I can't get K3B to do anything with DVDs. I've tried DVD-R and DVD-RW, and even different brands of each (Verbatim, hp and imation). I hate to use umpteen CDs when one or two DVDs will do the trick :-(

I have a Benq 32x10x40 CD R/W in an internal bay (hdc) and a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-103 in another internal bay (hdd). If I load a DVD with contents, K3B lists what is on it and if I load a blank DVD it says it knows that also.

I don't know if this is a linux issue or a K3B issue and I'm not sure where to go from here. The applicable errors noted are below.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,
Lee C

The "Writing" window basically says:

i  Starting writing...
x   :-(  /dev/hdd: unable to proceed with recording: unable to unmount
x  Fatal error at startup: Device or resource busy

and the debug output says:

Devices
-----------------------
PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-103 1.90 (/dev/hdd, ) at /media/cdrom1 [CD-R; CD-RW;
CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R] [Error] [SAO; TAO]
ATAPI CD-R/RW 32X10 T.GA (/dev/hdc, ) at /media/cdrom0 [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM]
[Error] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R16; RAW/R96R]

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.11.20
KDE Version: 3.3.2
QT Version:  3.3.4
Kernel:      2.4.27-2-386

growisofs
-----------------------
umount: /media/cdrom1: device is busy
umount: /media/cdrom1: device is busy
 :-(  /dev/hdd: unable to proceed with recording: unable to unmount

growisofs comand:
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd -use-the-force-luke=notray
-use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=dao -dvd-compat -speed=1 -gui
-graft-points -volid K3bDVDtest -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR VERSION
0.11.20 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher -preparer K3b -
Version 0.11.20 -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1
-sort /tmp/kde-leec/k3butIiJb.tmp -rock
-hide-list /tmp/kde-leec/k3bjS0Ldc.tmp -full-iso9660-filenames
-disable-deep-relocation -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-leec/k3bzxeW8b.tmp