Re: Running Debian on P166 MMX, 2 gig HDD laptop

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:36:03 -0500, [KS] wrote in message
<[🔎] 43B1FA13.4040606@fastmail.fm>:

> J Merritt wrote:
> > I recently installed Debian on an old Dell Latitude XPi. Because of
> > limitations of the system, I had to forego booting from CD and

..if it cannot be set to boot off the cd from a bios setting, put
smartbootmanager on a disk it _can_ boot from, and use the
tab menu or ^h (or ^i?) to find and boot the cd.  The sexy way
is put grub on the HD, if it won't chainload whatever you try
booting, borrow memdisk from syslinux and use that as "kernel",
and put the "no-way-chainloader" as initrd.  ;o)

> > instead create boot and driver diskettes on floppy and load a
> > netstat CD to get the base install done. I installed a minimal set
> > of packages including kde-base, amarok, mozilla, and a few others
> > via aptitude. The installation took up only about 50% of the drive,
> > actually less I think. The install was a success and Debian seems to
> > "like" this machine pretty well.
> >
> > Anyway, every time I boot up from GRUB, it goes straight to the
> > login prompt, and once you login, you're left at the command line. I
> > am used to the autoboot sequence where it goes directly to the GUI
> > login screen and you just load KDE or Gnome or whatever environment
> > you want. In this case, I am trying to load KDE and have had no
> > success.

..you probably wanna use Fluxbox and xdm, booting into kde-3.4.1 eats
20% juice in 20 minutes on one of my Thinkpad 760EDs, p133 on 48MB.

> > What steps do I need to take to get this to work?
> >

> apt-get install (gdm or kdm or xdm)
>
> installing an x-display-manager should do the trick of automatically
> taking you into gui mode after bootup.

..you might need a wee look at /etc/inittab.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: