Re: MTA slow to start

>> > During boot up it takes about 30 seconds for MTA to start for my Etch
>> > install. With Sarge on the same box this takes less than a second. Can
>> > I fix this somehow?
>
>> Changing "mybox" to "mybox.localdomain" in /etc/hostame works
>> for me. I can't take credit for this fix. I read it here.

>"mybox" would be name I put there.
>"localdomain" is syntax or something real such as mydnsdomain.net ?

Yes, putting some domain there will get MTA quickly running but it interferes
with  anything else such as CUPS, proftp, arpwatch, you name it. They all
time out making bootup impossible.

Most any thing I put there is "invalid", even "localdomain" or better
"localhost". Stuff can be tried out by the hostname command.

Maybe having something in /etc/hosts as well might work.