Re: Question

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 05:14:15AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >>I specialize in selling PCs. I would like to start installing Linux
> >>Debian to customers' PCs. Would you please let me know what packages i
> >>can charge customers for. Denis.
> >>
 >Have you looked at:
> >http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-redistrib.en.html

 But that does not say, or I looked wrong, specifically whether he can
> charge for the Debian the OP puts on his PC's.
>
> Can he?

The question it self is a bit of a strange one. I'm not realy sure if in
this case it's about selling the software, but more if he can charge the
customer for making an install with Debian, and charging them for the extra's
he can put on it (software-wise, including the config).

Now, looking at 13.2 and 13.4 of the redistribution in a commercial product I
don't see, well.. I can't find anything that limits him/her in charging a
fee for the effort.
Now if you would want to sell a piece of software that isn't yours in the first
place, that's a whole diffrent story.

Now, what I would do is charge the customer for the install and the config. of
the PC, and ask an extra fee for the support. That's a combination that goes
hand in hand with the whole opensource community.

It sounds like this is just another extra publicity for Debian/linux in general,
where he charges only for his/her effort to make it a nice product he can sell.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

--
TC,
 ,Mark