X11/XFree86 Problem

[ Sarge; kernel-2.6.8-2-686;
  xfree86-common-4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge1; kde-5:44; xscreensaver-4.21-3 ]

A new problem has arisen over the last few weeks ...

Getting up in the morning (or after a long time away from my home
machine), I see an 'xscreensaver' image "frozen" on my monitor.  The
entire local system is locked up.  The usual "C-M-F1" (console login)
and "C-M-<backspace>" (restart the X server) escapes do nothing.

Logging in from another machine shows 'xfree86' taking 98% of the CPU.

The only way to regain access via the local keyboard and mouse is to
use a "kill -9" on the 'xfree86' process.  After a few seconds, 'kde'
comes back with the normal login screen.  (Note, however, that "C-M-F1"
still doesn't work).

Questions:

  o  Anybody else having this problem?

  o  What might be the cause?

  o  Anything I can do to help determine the cause?

One thing I tried was disabling the screen saver "module" that
appeared to be running when it "hung".  That didn't help.  I've also
rebooted the entire system ... strange!

Thanks for your ideas!
--
Prof Kenneth H Jacker       khj@cs.appstate.edu