Re: slide rule (OT) was: Question on backups using rsync

Richard Lyons wrote:
On Thursday, 22 December 2005 at 12:50:15 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

Gene Heskett wrote:

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 20:35, Daniel Webb wrote:

(pulls out my slide ruler to figure out when it's dinner time).

Thats properly called a slide rule. I still have one, a K&E log-log-deci-trig that still works just fine. Does that make me a little jurassic, and probably old enough to be your grandfather? Yup.

I *made* my first slide rule out of a manila folder, following
directions in a book called "The Fun of Mathematics" (IIRC).

That was a good book.  I never made a slide rule but I still have a
couple somewhere.  Hemmi bamboo slide rules were the best.  Come to
that, I have a couple of lovely sorobans too, but I don't use them very
often either.

Another old fogie...

Mine is a Pickett log-log slide rule and I used to carry it aound in its
case hanging from my belt like a sword before I replaced it with an HP
25 RPN programmable calculator that cost $195.  It had 8 memories, 49
program steps and a 4 number stack.  The calculator is long since dead,
but I still have the slide rule.  I also still have the applications
manual for the calculator and I wrote an interpreter for the HP 25
language in C for a class when I went back to school for a second degree
-- in CS.  I guess I'm Jurassic, too -- and a geek!

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

--