Re: slide rule (OT) was: Question on backups using rsync

On Thursday, 22 December 2005 at 12:50:15 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> >On Tuesday 20 December 2005 20:35, Daniel Webb wrote:
> >>(pulls out my slide ruler to figure out when it's dinner time).
> >

> >Thats properly called a slide rule.  I still have one, a K&E
> >log-log-deci-trig that still works just fine.  Does that make me a
> >little jurassic, and probably old enough to be your grandfather?  Yup.
>
> I *made* my first slide rule out of a manila folder, following
> directions in a book called "The Fun of Mathematics" (IIRC).

That was a good book.  I never made a slide rule but I still have a
couple somewhere.  Hemmi bamboo slide rules were the best.  Come to
that, I have a couple of lovely sorobans too, but I don't use them very
often either.

Another old fogie...

--
richard