Locating Debian kernel .config

I've installed the package linux-source-2.6.14 with the intention of
building a kernel with the stock Debian configuration.  However, I've
been unable to locate the .config file corresponding to
linux-image-2.6.14-2-amd64-k8.  According to
/usr/share/doc/linux-source-2.6.14/README.Debian,

    Config Files
    ------------
    The .config files used to build the various linux-image files are
    dynamically generated during the linux-2.6 package build.  See the
    source package for details.  Each linux-image-* package provides
    the complete .config file that was used to generate it.  This file
    is installed in /boot.

That leads me to expect that if I

    apt-get source linux-image-2.6.14-2-amd64-k8

I'll get the .config and any other platform-specific files; but that
package is over 48 MB, suggesting I'll get another copy of the kernel
source as well as the config files.

This issue was raised 3 Jul 2005 in
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=316809 , which I
think led to the addition of the text above to README.Debian.  But it
appears something in the kernel packaging has changed since then.
Maybe the text should be amended or expanded.

Could someone suggest where I might find this .config file, and
perhaps comment on the apparent duplication of the kernel source in
the various linux-image-* source packages?  Thanks.

Best regards,
Michael

--
D. Michael McFarland
Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois