Re: firewire, reboot, /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

Hi there!

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 02:27:54AM -0500, Bill Marcum wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 01:34:39PM -0500, Brian Clark wrote:
> > Hi Debian users,

> > My workstation's inputs (keyboard and mouse) froze today for the second
> > time in 6 years and I had to hit the reset button.

> > Everything came back up fine (thanks, journaling!) but when I try to
> > mount my external firewire drive which I use for backup, I get this:

> [snip]

> > Can someone put me on the path to getting this fixed?

> > Thanks for reading!

> I don't know much about firewire, but how long have you had that drive?
> And by the way, how long have you had the drive(s) that it backs up?

I should have followed up to the list when I fixed this. I'm doing so
now. It turns out that I was following a lead from Mike McCarthy to run
fsck, and I booted into single user mode where I happened to try to
mount it before running fsck. After some ext3 journalling messages, the
drive mounted. Everything appears to be fine now. Odd, but its working
fine.

I've had the drive and external enclosure for about 4 or 5 months
or so. I use rsnapshot to do the backups. Since this will be in the
archives, I happen to use an external enclosure, with Firewire / USB
2.0 capabilities, made by AMS. The model is Venus DS-2316CBK. And I'm
using the 2.6 kernel.

Thanks for the reply, Bill.

--
Brian Clark