Re: Is AMD-64 mature enough to start using? (possibly on K8V-MX moptherboard)

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 04:14:24PM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 December 2005 at  7:07:42 -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> [...]
> > Linux.  Specifically, an Asus K8V-MX Athlon 64 motherboard,
> > an AMD Sempron64 2600, 512 meg DDR PC-3200 w/o ECC.
> [...]
> >
> > My question is, is the Debian AMD64 platform ready for such use?
> [...]
> > Very few happy users ever write in to say how happy they are.
> > Presumably I'd be using the unofficial sarge release ... or has it
> > become official in the meantime?  Or is etch actually more reliable right now?
>
> My experience was mixed.  I put together an AMD 64 system on an
> ASROCK 939NF4 m/bd.  I used etch, as I thought that was the only AMD64
> netinstall disk (maybe I was wrong).

There is, apparently, an unofficial sarge for the AMD64, which is,
apparently, supported by debian's security upgrade service.

>  Other than problems with the
> onboard nVidia ethernet and sound, the install went easily.  Oh, yes,
> and I completely failed to get an ATI graphics card (X700) to work with
> it and had to swap to an nVidia.

Not even planning to try ATI.  Planning to use the motherboard's minimal
video until I disconver otherwise.

>  Afterwards, I found some problems with
> software needing 32 shared libraries that were absent, and eventually
> decided to downgrade the box to a 32-bit Pentium m/bd, as I was in a
> hurry to have it ready for my daughter (she does animation).

Which leaves me wondering whether you just hit the usually transient
etch upgrade problems, or whether you really had trouble with the AMD64
platform.

> So I am now looking to get another box, hdd and memory and start
> again...  But I'll regard it as a learning and experimental box for now.

You could try dual-booting the 32- and the 64-bit systems.  You might
have to ass another hdd if she's filled the existing one with
animations.