Re: Is AMD-64 mature enough to start using? (possibly on K8V-MX moptherboard)

On Wednesday, 21 December 2005 at  7:07:42 -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
[...]
> Linux.  Specifically, an Asus K8V-MX Athlon 64 motherboard,
> an AMD Sempron64 2600, 512 meg DDR PC-3200 w/o ECC.
[...]
> My question is, is the Debian AMD64 platform ready for such use?
[...]
> Very few happy users ever write in to say how happy they are.
> Presumably I'd be using the unofficial sarge release ... or has it
> become official in the meantime?  Or is etch actually more reliable right now?

My experience was mixed.  I put together an AMD 64 system on an
ASROCK 939NF4 m/bd.  I used etch, as I thought that was the only AMD64
netinstall disk (maybe I was wrong).  Other than problems with the
onboard nVidia ethernet and sound, the install went easily.  Oh, yes,
and I completely failed to get an ATI graphics card (X700) to work with
it and had to swap to an nVidia.  Afterwards, I found some problems with
software needing 32 shared libraries that were absent, and eventually
decided to downgrade the box to a 32-bit Pentium m/bd, as I was in a
hurry to have it ready for my daughter (she does animation).

So I am now looking to get another box, hdd and memory and start
again...  But I'll regard it as a learning and experimental box for now.

> (mostly .mpg). Would accessing them from another machine using NFS (100
> MHz ethernet)
> be fast enough for them to view them?  Even if tow people did it at the
> same time?

We played a film about Penguins (which I was disappointed to find
was not about Linux) from one box to another over NFS the other day, so
probably yes.

--
richard