Re: can't load fglrx

On 12/22/05, ericradt <biosedit@gmail.com> wrote:
> i am install ati driver 8.20.8 in my system,kernel
> 2.6.14 patch with ' vesafb',but now i can't load
> the fglrx modules,
>     when i run modprobe fglrx with bash,there are
>     this error in terminal
>     "FATAL: Error inserting fglrx
>     (/lib/modules/2.6.14/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko):
>     Operation not permitted
>     "
>     dmesg ,the error is like this
> "    [fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR*
>     Unable to the open some already present
>     DRM kernel module!
>     "
>     so  i think if the error is come from the
>     kernel,or i would like to patch the patch
>     'vesafb',i am install kernel not uses
>     --initrd, compiled the kernel,is so fine,
>     and how to solve it,thanks any advives, if
>     must compiled kernel again,

If I understand correctly you compiled DRI into the kernel for ati.
You should not do this, since the fglrx driver has it's own dri code.
In the kernel config this is found at Device Drivers>Character
Devices>Direct Rendering Manager.

It could be that this feature is compiled as a module. If it is, you
need to stop it from getting loaded at boot, or unload it after boot
with rmmod, do lsmod to get a list of loaded modules. rmmod on a dri
module might not work though, be sure to stop X before trying this,
since X will be using the module.

greets,
Wim