Re: bug 336022 closed but not fixed(broken binutils)

NZG wrote:

> I'm having the same problem described in bug 336022.
> After upgrading binutils to the most recent testing version I cannot
> compile any kernel other than 2.6.14.
> This bug was closed with the recommendation to upgrade you binutils and/or
> use a more recent kernel.
>
> I have done both, but the problem remains.
>
>> standard input}:688: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
>> {standard input}:689: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
>> {standard input}:887: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
>> {standard input}:888: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
>> {standard input}:967: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
>> {standard input}:968: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
>> {standard input}:1051: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
>> {standard input}:1052: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
>> {standard input}:1061: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
>> {standard input}:1073: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
>
> I have tried using gcc-2.95, gcc-3.3, and gcc-4.0.
> They all do exactly the same thing.

Same problem here when trying to compile 2.4.25 for some older stuff. Using a
Sarge chroot fixed it. 'as' just complains more and that's the problem.
Either you stick with older binutils or you have to fix the process.c file in
the kernel tree by fixing the inline asm. Maybe there is a patch out there?

HS

        oder über pgp.net