Re: linux-image/ramdisk/boot problem

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen wrote:

Greetings!

After a linux-kernel-2.6.14-2-686 upgrade a couple of weeks ago

(snip)

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
/bin/cat: /sys/block/hda/dev: No such file or directory
Waiting 1 seconds for /sys/block/hda/dev to show up
/bin/cat: /sys/block/hda/dev: No such file or directory
Waiting 2 seconds for /sys/block/hda/dev to show up
.
.
Device /sys/block/hda/dev seems to be down.
Debugging opportunity, type ^D to continue
/bin/dash: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

And this leaves me in a shell where I can't even type 'ls', and without access to my hard drive, of course.

I have tried with and without forcing yaird to include the piix and/or
ide_generic drivers on the ramdisk.

This has been discussed here several times since it happened. yaird in sid is broken. Downgrade to the version of yaird in testing.

Paul Scott