nVidia and the Black Screen Problem

Hello

I have just recompiled my kernel, now running 2.4.27. I compiled the nvidia kernel from source 0.7174 (I have a TNT card) and the module installation went smoothly, nvidia-glx for 0.7174 was also installed. However, I now have a black screen whenever I try to run X with the nvidia driver and have to restart to get control back (can't get to any virtual screens either).

lilo.conf has the parameter "pci=noacpi" to fix the IRQ problem.

There are no errors reported in /var/log/Xorg.log.

I have searched for answers but all I have found is reports of similar problems. I'm stumped. Any ideas anyone?

Thank you.  Steve.