Re: How to record with onboard sound card?

LMa <ludovicmarchetti@web.de> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am a relatively new Linux user.
> I have the following major problem: trying to record with Audacity
> (among others) doesn't work with my on-board VIA ac97 sound card.
>
> I know Audacity prety well (I wrote a User's manual for specific tasks with Audacity).
> I tried all the settings, all the combinations (in Files, settings: all sources, mono-stereo, etc.).
> I'm defeated. Although it worked perfectly fine with Win2000, it never worked either with Knoppix 3.4.
> So I guess, if I want to have a chance of solving the problem, I've got to get under the bonnet...
>
> I sport:
> Software: Debian 3.1 ("Sarge") Kernel 2.4.27
> with KDE 3.3.2
> Audacity 1.2.3
>
> Hardware: (under "Information center - Sound card" no information!)
> I find my sound card under PCI:
>
> 0000:00:11:5 Multimedia Audio controller VIA Technologies,
> Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio controller (rev 10)
> Subsystem MicroStar International Co, Ltd KT266 onboard audio
> Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
> I/O ports at D0000 [size=256]

-------- snipped much additional information ------------

I don't have anything to add, except that I have a similar VIA audio
controller, and I haven't been able to get it working either.  I
checked with google and found many reports of similar problems, but I
didn't find any solution that worked for me.  It appears that VIA is a
good vendor to avoid for linux systems.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org