fusefs + smbfs

hi everybody.
At the moment i'm using smbmount and smbfs utilities, but i'm not satisfied with this tool, cause using gnome with nautilus and browsing dirs or shares is really slow and not efficient.
so i'm looking at fusefs + smbfs. is someone using it? how are the performances? is it better than smbfs or not?
my needs are to mount various shares greater than 1 tb, (are on emc2 storage) exported using cifs protocol.
so i'm looking for a client that allow me to use this share in a reasonable way, moving files and dirs which each contain more than 10k files. At the moment opening a dir containing 10k files need more than a minute with nautilus ang smbfs tools
any help or suggestion about tools to be used will be appreciated!
thanks
fabrizio