patching debian source: fails!

Hello All,

I'm trying to patch some debian sources, namely bash. I had managed to
so with an earlier version (3.0), but with version 3.1 I'm not making it.

I've traced the problem with patching bash with the way sources are
being set up in debian:

1. mkdir preexec-bash; cd preexec-bash
2. apt-get source bash
the output refers to the download, the extraction and the diff, but..

3. in the new bash-3.1 directory there's a 'debian' folder and a
bash-3.1.tar.gz file

And that's the thing.. In 3.0 I got a directory with the sources, and I
just had to patch the files. In addition, every howto around seems to
depend on this source dir being created. Now, if I simply extract this
last tgz file, the changes will be overwritten. And I even tried the
naive approach of repacking the changed sources, but to no avail.

So I was wondering if you could explain what I'm missing. RTFM hasn't
been very helpful..

Regards,

Renato