installed udev - lost mouse and NIC

Just set up a sid system on an IBM thinkpad 600E.  All went well.  Then
I installed a load of applications and tools. Including udev.  When I
rebooted, I had no mouse (usb)  and no NIC (PCMCIA).  I recollect seeing
others had suffered similar problems but a day of googling has not
helped.  I cannot see what is set up different from another laptop, also
recently set up with sid, and using udev apparently without problem.

I guess I have to write config files by hand, but can anyone tell me
where to look?

--
richard