Installer (i386) problem

I'm trying to [re]install Debian on my wife's machine, a PIII/800 with 512MB
ram. It has an nVidia GeForce 2 card and a pair of 30GB drives. It was
formerly running Libranet (which is Debian based), with kernel 2.6.11. She
was having some hard to pin down hardware problems (which I think was
memory), as it turned out, and I figured since I had the machine down, I
would rebuild and get rid of the cruft she's accumulated over the last 2
years or so.

I tried booting the latest etch installer, and found that when I took the
default at boot (2.6.12), the text was a multicolor, garbled, nureadable
mess. The dialog boxes were fine, but any text to the screen was trashed. I
tested the 2.4 install, and the text was okay there. So I downloaded the
sarge installer, and the same thing happened (though I have not yet tried the
2.4 install yet.) Booting Kanotix, which is 2.6.11-based as well as INSERT,
which is also 2.6 gives me a normal display.

Can somone tell me why this is happening only with the 2.6 kernel and only on
the Debian installer cd? I am transferring data to another drive, but I will
try vga=ask at startup to see if it helps.

Regards
--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                       |