Re: resize partition with qtparted and "head 255 greater than maximum 16"

H.S. wrote:
Hi,

I haa a fully populated disk hda in which the first two primary
partitions were fat32. The first one had Windows XP in it and the second
 one had non-OS data.

I wanted to shrink the second one to enlarge the first one.

I used Knoppix 4.02 CD and qtparted to shrink the second one by 3.16G. I
can boot into Windows XP and Debian now, but in Debian I get this when I
run "fdisk /dev/hda":

Command (m for help): v
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Partition 2: head 255 greater than maximum 16
6649951 unallocated sectors

<snip>

I would try http://www.ranish.com/part/
That tool is located on a swiss army knife CD called UBCD, ultimate boot cd:
http://mackan.servehttp.com/bootcd/ubcd.zip

My extensive database backed notes failed me again: I don't know where I got the CD from, but ranish is very good. Google for ultimate boot cd.

I mistrust any resizeing tool. Years ago that M$ based for pay resizer, completely screwed up a linux partition resizing. Unless someone can prove of course that resizing in fact *did* work.