Re: starting wireless connection on boot

martin jakubik wrote:
Your /etc/network/interfaces should look something like:

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-key XXXXXXXXXX
wireless-essid my-network

Thanks a lot. I just got a chance to test this.
Unfortunately, it doesn't "work". In other words:
1) I put the above in my /etc/network/interfaces
2) I commented out any lines with eth0 for good measure
3) but when I boot up and ping, I get:
ping -c 5 www.google.com
ping: unknown host www.google.com

did you include

auto wlan0

?

Then, as per my original message, when I:
su
iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxx essid my-network
dhclient wlan0

... it works.

Also, make sure that ndiswrapper gets loaded before /etc/init.d/networking

Maybe this is the problem. How do I make sure ndiswrapper is loaded
before networking? ... I'm clueless about how to control start-up
scripts.

ls /etc/rc?.d where ? is the runlevel you're interested in. each symlink has a S or K and a number in the front of the name. such as

S35networking

or

K90sysklogd

the S means Start, K means Kill. the number is what order to execute in. 1 comes first ;).

martin