Re: Changing over to udev

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:45:03 -0800
Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> wrote:

> And I'm using udev on this box.  Not that I like it, not that I give a
> tinker's damn about demonstrating how big my d*ck is by how empty I can
> make /dev (and that emptiness has meant I've had to write rules for every
> symlink I ever had in there)... I just wanted persistent naming for four
> external USB hard disk enclosures.

I'm not really understanding what this issue with symlinks is?

On the rare occasion I have poked around with rules udev
was easier to figure out for me than devfs was.

The issue with recent kernels where you can't predict which network
card will be initialized first and get eth0 and you need a specific
card to be eth0. The list archive shows a pretty handy solution using
a udev rule.

I have not had to create a symlink for any hardware
devices /dev/dsp, /dev/adsp, /dev/hdX, /dev/sdX, /dev/video0, etc...
all show up without me having to do a thing.

I had a DVD drive as my only CD type device and for it I
had /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, and /dev/hdd showing up in /dev. Recently I
replaced it with a DVD burner and automagically I now also
have /dev/cdrw that shows up, didn't have to do a thing.

Later, Seeker