Re: create a virtual terminal?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:03:40PM +0100, tjas ni wrote:
> I've just installed Debian 3.1 on my old laptop here.
> I do not intend to use X, so I will experience a lot of terminal work.
> So I thought I should do something special with my console.
> After some search on the web I found this image:
> http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v298/amerei1/myblog/nostalgia/console.jpg
> That's taken using Gentoo, but I hope this is possible using Debian too?
> I also found out that you need a framebuffer (?) to do so.
> Found this page: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html
>
> So, is there anyone who could please explain to me how I can make my console
> like that on my Debian 3.1 system?
> I would be very grateful....
>

> Cheers
> nidr

Hi,

if you want to go tough (i.e without X), you will love 'screen'.

cvpoly2:~$apt-cache show screen
Package: screen
Section: misc
Installed-Size: 980
Maintainer: Adam Lazur <zal@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 4.0.2-4.1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libncursesw5 (>= 5.4-1), libpam0g (>=
0.76), ba
se-passwd (>= 2.0.3.4), passwd (>= 1:4.0.3-10)
Pre-Depends: debconf (>= 0.2.17)
Conflicts: suidmanager (<< 0.52)
Filename: pool/main/s/screen/screen_4.0.2-4.1_i386.deb
Size: 581702
MD5Sum: 69be0f4a8d612f598855d34b72ceb431
 screen is a terminal multiplexor that runs several separate "screens" on a
 single physical character-based terminal.  Each virtual terminal emulates a
 DEC VT100 plus several ANSI X3.64 and ISO 2022 functions.  Screen sessions
 can be detached and resumed later on a different terminal.  .
 Screen also supports a whole slew of other features.  Some of these are:
 configurable input and output translation, serial port support, configurable
 logging, multi-user support, and utf8 charset support.

While I do use X, I exclusively use xterms with screen running inside.
As an example, here is the bottom line of a configuration I use:

\begin{screenshot}

23:08 Thu15Dec 0-$ s0  1*$ mail  2$ music  3$ news  4$ chat  5$ irc  6$
rss  7$ w3m  8$ nethack  9$ s9

\end{screenshot}

Excuse the poor mans screenshot, think one line and color...
I can't stress the power of screen enough. Even better, if you connect
to a host via ssh, start screen and the connection breaks down, the
screen session including the programs running in it keep running!! That
means you can reconnect and find your programs where you left them.

Though screen has seen some spread over the years, I still think it is
one program which doesn't see the publicity it merits.
If you are interested, I can send my .screenrc configuration as an
example....enough advocacy now :)
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379